Most vineyards have completed their pruning by April. We, however, delay our pruning as long as possible because we almost always experience a hard frost around Mother's Day. This kills the already emerging bud, and reduces the crop by about half. By delaying the pruning we hope to delay bud break and avoid that hard frost.
With just under 900 vines to prune, this is a big job for two people. Pruning is a pretty precise endeavor so we can't just appeal to friends for help. One must be sure to prune away the right vines, for if you prune the new growth from last year, you won't get grapes this year. You must prune last years fruiting vines, and this is not always easy to decide.
Our vines experienced vigorous growth last season, though not necessarily vigorous yield, and they are really a tangle this season.
Unfortunately, due to my January hand surgery that is not healing well, Freddie is having to do most of the pruning.
I get out there about one to two hours every other day or so, and do what I can. It is not easy as my right hand is not fully functional...
I wear a lot of paraphernalia, and mostly have to prune two-handed, but I do what I can.
We are lucky that this spring has been so delayed, as we are really pushing the time limits here. Hopefully we will be done in the next week or two, weather permitting.
1 comment:
Wow, 900 vines to prune? I didn't realize you had so many. I sure hope your hand recovers to normal move-ability. That has to be frustrating. I'm glad you can get out a couple hours a day to enjoy the outdoors and fresh air.
Have a great Easter weekend.
Post a Comment