We recently purchased a new outdoor grill, our old one finally burned itself out. It took us two evenings to put it together, and when complete we were left with a huge, heavy-duty cardboard box and multiple pieces of Styrofoam. For some reason, I just love boxes, boxes of any kind, and I hated to just discard this one. Well, it just so happened that my granddaughters would come for Nonnie day the very next day, and somehow I knew this would be a major attraction for them.
When they arrived, snacks ready on their table, all was ignored in the excitement of the simple, unadorned box. It wasn't unadorned for long....
I soon became a 'go-fer'....nonnie can you get us a curtain? Nonnie can you get us a lamp? Can you make a little lamp for inside? We want to make a village, do you have more boxes? and on and on and on. I loved each and every moment of this highly creative play.
Nonnie can I have the tiny pig and mouse, please?
A cozy home for Snuggly Bear and his good friend, 'Orange Girl' (she is made from dried orange rinds)
Nonnie, we need something for a roof over us, like a fort....
Pretty soon the living room was transformed into a wonderland. I had fetched countless 'props', always asked for with a please.
These two creative, imaginative young girls played, absolutely absorbed, for 2 1/2 hours, until I finally said, it is time for lunch. They reluctantly left their village.
Take two little girls and a cardboard box and magic happens!!
1 comment:
You have the sweetest granddaughters! I love their imagination.
Post a Comment