Monday, July 8, 2013

THIS AND THAT

I spent all day yesterday at Norskedalen, (I left home at 6:30 A.M.) at an Art Show.  Hot, muggy day spent in a lovely, but airless old log house.  It is an ideal place for me to set up my wares, as there is a huge, old barn loom and an old treadle sewing machine in the main room.  My goods look great in this setting.  However, it was not a profitable day, and I do not think I even recouped my registration fee. 



...rugs, bags, Woolies...

...Woolies and pot holders...

I kept pretty close count of how many people came through the cabin, and I believe it was a bit over 152.  The first year of this show, there were over 250.  
Having left home so early to go set up, and not getting home until about 5 p.m., literally soaking wet and exhausted, I never made it to my garden.  It is highly unusual for me not to go to the garden multiple times a day.

So that was the first thing I did this morning, and not only had the weeds multiplied enormously, but so had the vegetables. 



A great picking of peas, close to my last I'm afraid, two nice heads of broccoli, a yellow cucumber (a new variety I am trying this year) and much to my surprise, a bountiful picking of french style beans.  

We will have a very green supper tonight...steamed green beans with butter, broccoli omelet, and peas sauteed with lettuce and onions, with a touch of nutmeg.

Despite the heat, and it was hot, of the day, and the mugginess, I turned the oven up to 375 degrees and made 


three strawberry cobblers
(strawberries fresh out of the field at 9:00 this morning)

and one strawberry crisp.

My daughter, Educational Coordinator at the Kickapoo Valley Reserve, has a large group of teachers here for the week, doing what is called the Cultural Tour.  She had asked me to make dessert for their dinner tonight...with one of the participants being a vegan, thus the crisp.  
It was not a good day to have the oven up to 375, believe me!!

A couple of weeks ago I got Michael Pollan's new book out of the library, and before I even got through the introduction, which he wrote, and I so wish I had, I knew I wanted to own this book, which I purchased at our local bookstore.



It is a wonderful journey into the land of food!!

And below, this radicchio is going to be on our table tomorrow night, I plan on grilling it. I have never grown it before, but thought I'd give it a try this year.  If nothing else,  it is absolutely beautiful.

I have never  grilled radicchio, but am eagerly looking forward to it.

1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

I ordered Michael Pollan's book for my library and it still has lots of holds on it, so I never got to read it.

When we drive home to Richland Center, we like to drive the country roads and drive by Norskedalen.

Your strawberry dessert looks wonderful...how nice of you do make the desserts for your daughter's work related function. Should be cooler in a couple days.