Sunday, April 7, 2013

WRESTLE-MANIA

Perhaps spring has really arrived, although I wouldn't bet on it.  Still, I pulled the last of the strawberries and rhubarb I froze last spring, to make a pie.  I love making pies, and for some reason it is about the easiest dessert in the world to make.  Preparing the pie crust, rolling it out in a nearly perfect circle, (my mother's wasn't nearly perfect, her's WAS perfect), is a wonderfully nostalgic, meditative 'exercise' for me. 



I always brush the just-ready-for-the-oven pie with half and half or milk, and then sprinkle it with a bit of sugar...which makes for a lovely browning.

I almost always have pie dough left over, and one of the things, as a child, I loved most when my mother was baking a pie, was the left over crust...




made into what she called 'tarts'.  Here are tarts cut with a cookie cutter, brushed with milk, sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.
Truly a delicious treat.

This past 'Nonnie' day, Grandpa came home early before the girls left for the day.  This always excites the girls, and after the initial hugging and teasing, this Nonnie Day the girls wanted Grandpa to wrestle with them, one of there very favorite Grandpa activities....
 now wrestling, for them, has a little bit different take.  First they have Grandpa lie on the floor on a rug, then they pile pillows on him

and take a flying leap from the couch,



(I don't know the reason they laid the towel on his head, perhaps it offers some relief????)





Elsa ready for the take off...

Quite honestly, I think Grandpa loves this just as much as the girls do, and they of course, think he is invincible.  

  Nonnie day is always a day full of wonder and delight not just for these girls, but for me as well.  They never cease to amaze me with their sharp yet unsophisticated awareness and deep knowledge.  They enrich my life exponentially!

1 comment:

tainterturtles said...

I really like the idea of a "Nonnie" day with your granddaughters. The girls look like they have lots of fun energy!

Someday I too will look forward to grandma day!

PS. Love the towel on grandpa's head!!!