I know most of us, if not all of us, rally round and think about all that we are thankful for as Thanksgiving approaches. Somehow this year, considering all that I am blessed with has left a kind of darkness in me, knowing much of the world has not a tiny, tiny fraction of my blessings...blessings that are so easy to take for granted in a life overflowing with blessings.
I hope that I can keep in the forefront of my mind, on all the days to come, those for whom a blessing might be something as small as a crust of bread. I know keeping all those destitute people, people living in war zones, people who must watch their children starve, in my mind and in my heart is so little in the scope of the world, but I do think it matters. It matters for us to keep those who are less fortunate, deep within ourselves...in our hearts, our minds and in our prayers. It matters.
My little corner
of the world
has no rubble,
no debris strewn streets,
no women buried to the neck
and stoned.
My corner of the world
has no daily strife,
no search for morsels
among the refuse,
no stench of stray bodily fluids
lingering in the air.
My small corner
of the world
has no machete wielding
rebels,
no stray bullets piercing
random bodies,
no children falling
senseless victims.
In my corner of the world
there is an enormous
absence
of the dark,
the dirty,
the broken,
an enormous absence
of bitter violence
of discord
of struggle
and I ask
why me?
I am thankful...
thankful my life is
so blessed
yet, it seems I am not thankful enough,
not in quantity
nor in frequency,
not enough anyway
to balance
a world,
away from my sacred corner,
that is consumed by hatred,
war,
hunger,
homelessness,
grief,
abuse,
violence...
I wish my thankfulness
had power...
I wish it made me huge...
I wish
I could heal the world
with my gratitude.
Joanne Adragna Shird
November 19,2012
May everyone find the blessings in their life!
I am thankful!
1 comment:
Really nice Joanne. I totally understand your blessings and heavy heart. The world is huge and I too which I could help bring peace and healing to our planet.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.
Post a Comment