I have had, for many years, a very large collection of old 100% wool blankets. I buy them up where ever I see them, thrift stores, rummage sales and Goodwill. They used to be quite inexpensive, however, they are quite costly now. Still, when I see one I like, especially if it is in a color I do not have, I scoop it up.
Generally I cut them into one inch strips and use them to weave sturdy wool rugs. However, a couple of years ago, this huge collection of blankets piled in my workshop kept calling to me, sometimes in strange ways. Quite honestly, it seemed like something was trapped in there. It was from this feeling that the Woolies were born.
I have made around 30 of these 'creatures',
including this one, named Jackie, because through no effort of mine, she just ended up looking like my sister (and the one peeking beside her named Rufus).
At the present I have a friend who is not feeling particularly well, and I decided to liberate a Woolie in her name. She is fun-filled woman, who loves life and color...lots of color. She is about as unselfconscious a person as I have ever known. She can always be counted on to adorn herself in the funkiest of outfits, and she wears them so very well. She is a strong, warrior of a woman, who while not feeling her best, I thought could use a little boost.
....and Patti was born....
Now this is the back of the Woolie named Patti, embellished with recycled silk ties, felted wool, and an odd button or two.
...and this, ladies and gentlemen, is Patti!!
Oh, she made me smile while creating her, and she is filled with lots and lots of love, as well as lavender flowers and wool from my daughter's sheep.
I hope she brings my friend warmth, love and some laughter during this trying time.



2 comments:
Oh Joanne, I LOVE your woolie ladies! What a creative way to use wool, and to think you made 30????
I think your friend will cherish Patti into her home.
I Cherish her indeed! Such a lovely and memorable gift. Thanks Joanne!
Love you bunches,
Patti (#1)
Post a Comment