Wednesday, June 6, 2012

INSPIRATION

Just about a month ago I discovered something called Zentangle.  I don't recall how I happened upon a website about it, but I am so glad that I did.  I think I am addicted already.  Zentangle is a meditative kind of 'art' work, and is reminiscent of much of what I have always admired by illustrators, especially of children's books.  I have always loved the borders by artists such as Jan Brett, and I think that Zentangle will allow me to do some of that type of work.

I belong to an art group, who call themselves Artlings.  We exchange sketch books monthly, as well as bring in work we are working on, to share with one another.  I 'tangled' a new cover for the sketch book that I had, as well as 'tangling' a couple of pages within the book.


My granddaughter Morgan's bedroom is decorated with butterflies, and I did a larger version of this as her birthday card.


Our Artlings group meets the first Tuesday of the month, and this month we had the visual pleasure of meeting at Susan G's. 



This is Susan and at her house there is art everywhere you look, and I mean everywhere, including around every corner and/or tree out of doors.


This was hanging in one of the many artful cabins around her property.  Somehow it reminded me of Zentangle.


Susan has meditative sitting spots everywhere, both inside and out.  Here she has hung colorful rags as a kind of 'fence'.  Her spots are in the shade, in the sun, in spaces she can turn 360 degrees, beneath staircases, in hammocks, I mean one can meditate just about anywhere they happen to wander.


She also has some stunning flowers, such as this Cherry Jubilee Rose:




Which almost looks good enough to eat.


It was a wonderful and inspiring day spent with artistic women who are friends.  


And then I came home to this:


A sweet ending to a great day.  (Most of these made it to the freezer, and the rest will end up in a pie today.)


I am grateful to have such women friends who support one another and bring inspiration into my life.

No comments: