Sunday, March 11, 2012

THE INVASION

As many of you know, winter is and always has been my favorite season. Still, there is something so irresistible and compelling about a 55-60 degree, brilliantly sunny day that almost nudges winter out as a favorite. Actually, there is no season that in its presence does not stimulate me to great love. It is a fact that on any given perfect (or near-perfect) day of any season, it is difficult not to deeply appreciate it in all its aspects and glory. Such was yesterday and today. Spring seems to be here, and I am bursting with it not unlike the soon to burst flowers.

I planted my first spinach and lettuce this past week...and abruptly returned to the joys of the garden as soon as I turned and touched the soil.

Still...I can come to despise spring, not for its outdoor smells, sunshine, and beauty, but for what it brings into my home.

The Asian Beetle, long a bane of living here in Southwestern Wisconsin. For many years this tiny bug has filled my home, by the thousands and thousands, each spring and fall. Only last year did I notice a demise in number, with great delight.

However, for every Asian Beetle that did not appear in my home, a Box Elder Bug did.


Last year I believe they were about even in number, although it is impossible to count that many invaders. This year thus far, the Asian Beetle population seems even lower, but of course, the Box Elder Bug count is way, way up.



Yesterday I stepped out on our front enclosed porch, and much to my dismay, there were literally layers of Box Elder Bugs on the window sills...I mean layers, in some places they piled up over an inch thick.



They are harmless, as is the Asian Beetle, but unsightly, and a terrible nuisance. They don't bite like the beetle, nor do they stink when you crush them, but they do get into your bed despite my staunched efforts to discourage them. (Of course there has been many an Asian Beetle sharing my bed as well.)



I love a sparkling, clear and clean window, however it has been years since they have sparkled from my home except quite briefly. Not very long after one has cleaned a window, it becomes smudged and spotted from all this bug activity.

But both the Asian Beetle and Box Elder Bug's intrusion, annoyance, and disgusting presence has paled...way...way paled, with the presence of this....



...STINK BUG...

Now this is one ugly bug, and it is not small by any means. It measures at least an inch, looks like it is wearing armor, and believe me, it stinks....far worse than any Asian Beetle could. The smell is gagging, and one surely hesitates to crush one of these intruders. The vacuum was out multiple times yesterday, but that grows old and useless quite rapidly.

So, spring is here...I love spring, truly I do. But I do not love the invaders nor am I yet comfortable in all this killing. I keep wondering what a Buddhist would do with such a forceful, and overwhelming invasion of bugs??

2 comments:

Mamacita said...

I so enyoy reading your blog! I began reading as a fellow weaver but keep reading as a fellow sojourner!

I am located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia - a beautiful, beautiful region of our country! It is, however, another region under the invasion of the stink bug! The asian beetles were our curse for several years but they are nearly gone and the stink bug is our current pestilance! My weaving studio saw thousands of them come inside in the fall - even into my plastic storage tubs -even my car door panels have them hiberating inside. The last few warm days has them parading across my windshield as I drive! Thanks for sharing your life adventures!
Patricia

Joanne said...

And thank you for reading, and for your empathetic comments. Thus far the stink bugs are scattered a few here and a few there, I pray they do not overtake us like the Asian beetles did, or it seems, like they have in your area of the Blue Ridge Mts.