Thursday, December 22, 2011

THE ORGANIC WAY OF LIFE
(Vote for your favorite essay)


Several weeks ago I entered a contest for Organic Valley/Stoneyfield Farms and am now one of six finalists. The contest was a 200 word essay (which in its brevity was difficult for me to do, loquacious as I am) and the subject matter was: How do you celebrate organic in your kitchen and in your life?

This was a subject that was near and dear to me, although I had given it no direct thought prior to writing the essay. When I was a girl we lived with my grandmother until her death. She was an avid gardener, and I trailed behind her in the garden incessantly. She was naturally, an organic gardener, and the food she prepared in our kitchen was always fresh or preserved from the garden. The kitchen was truly the heart of our Sicilian home.

I learned much from her, and she lives still so vividly in me.

If you go to http://www.celebratewithorganic.com/winners you can read all six of the essays and vote for the one of your choice. I, of course, would like your vote, but honestly, I can't ask for it unless you truly feel that mine is the 'top' essay. If you do, you are able to vote once per day under the same email until January 31.

And by the way, thanks for reading this blog...and I hope you celebrate organic in your kitchen and your life, too!

6 comments:

. said...

Love this!
-Jessica, a fellow finalist :)

tainterturtles said...

I really like your blog. Your grandma sounded like a wonderful mentor.

Good luck on the contest!

Joanne said...

Yes, she was a wonderful person and mentor, and much of me, especially that which is good, is because of her. Thank you so much for your comments and your good wishes.

Susan G said...

I found your blog when I voted for you, loving the easy feel of your words and the word picture of your grandmother. "Weave" in your blog title had something to do with it too. Now I'm here, enjoying your photos, your words, your recipes. Planning to return often!

Joanne said...

Susan, Just found your comment...thanks for reading and for the vote.

Barbara R. said...

I just read your essay and blog. I enjoyed all. Your grandmother was a blessing like mine was. Wonderful teachers. I voted for you.

http://www.celebratewithorganic.com/winners.

Good Luck.... I hope that you win.