Sunday, December 11, 2011

FROM BACK....TO BACK

These adorable little lambs, Robin and Primrose respectively, now grown, live a very good life on Iris' and Elsa's 'farm'. I have seen them romp and run, and be led on a lease. They surely were sweet little ones.


Staying little was not for long, as they grew in size as well as in a luxurious coat of fine wool.


In March we all went to the sheep shearing gathering at the Ashley-Wright farm, where

...Robin met the sheep-shearer's shears...

...as well as Primrose...
neither seemed to mind too much, and given the heat of the summer, I am sure they were relieved.

The huge bags of raw and dirty wool was taken to Heavenly Fiber Woolen Mill in Readstown to be washed, combed, and spun into yarn.


A lovely unbleached cream color came from Primrose, and the black from Robin was twined with the cream to make a beautiful heather yarn.


Iris and Elsa helped me to wind the hanks into balls ready for knitting.


One sweater nearly finished and the second begun...needling away as fast as I can as I wish these to be for Christmas.

There is something that fills the heart knowing the girls will be wearing sweaters knit from the wool of their very own lambs. Sustainability at its finest.

1 comment:

Jonel K said...

We can't wait....shhhhh!