WARM HANDS
There is something about the onset of this cold, cold weather that makes me want to get out the knitting needles, sit on the couch and watch the item I am making begin to slowly develop. Perhaps I was urged on somewhat by the fact that I recently picked up 27 skeins of yarn from Heavenly Fibers Mill in Readstown, WI.
Back in the spring Jonel, Andy, the girls and I went, along with their black and their white sheep, to a friend's farm for a sheering. We decided to take the raw wool from their sheep to Heavenly Fibers Mill for processing. In the end, we received several skeins of unbleached white yarn, and several skeins of heather yarn, which was made from wool of the black and the white sheep. The yarn is beautiful, and I think it was the day that I picked it up, that my itching to start knitting again, began. I am so anxious to make something for each of the girls that comes entirely from their own sheep...sheep they have fed, walked on a leash, and loved a great deal. As I have yet to find patterns for what I will make from that yarn, I decided to begin with a smaller project using some of my collection of yarns.
Now I consider myself only slightly more than a novice knitter, despite having made several sweaters, hats, mittens, etc. AND I had never before knit with double point needles, much less five of them. But the small project I took on was 'hand warmers' and not having a circular needle of the right size, and not being able to find one anywhere, I purchased the set of 5 double point needles. After checking a tutorial at ravelry.com I felt ready. It is awkward at best, but now on my second pair, I am becoming seasoned.

And I actually love these warmers that leave your fingers exposed. They are great to wear while knitting, reading, weaving, not so much cooking, and just about anything else in a house where we keep it on the cool side.
I know I've just begun my venture in making hand warmers! I see a great place to use up all my leftover yarn...and they will make nice gifts.
No comments:
Post a Comment