Thursday, April 7, 2011

FROM RAGS TO RICHES

A while back I warped my old Union #36 with alternating white/blue threads. I had in mind a design, that only too soon, did I realize, I hadn't actually warped for, and unlike some of my weaver friends who I admire because they can simply cut off warp if it turns out to be a problem in any way (Barb, I speak of you) I just can't bring myself to do that. Perhaps because I dislike warping, and find it such a chore, that I feel I must use up whatever I put on despite problems, major or otherwise.

Anyway, the rug below is the one that emerged from that warp, and I truly disliked it, and it has thus sat, ends unfinished. (Though I do have plans for it that might, just might alter that perception. We'll see.)

As there was still plenty of warp left on the loom, and I, for one as I said before, cannot cut it off, I had to come up with something else that I might like.


I know in the past I've spent time declaring my love and fascination for old rag balls, of which I at one time had a very large supply. Although this supply is dwindling at a rapid pace, I decided that the blue/white warp would receive rag balls well, and that I might like the result.


Here is the VERY LAST of my supply... except for


this huge ball whose circumference measures nearly thirty inches, (it was much larger at one time).

I wish I could find the words for my feelings towards these rag balls. I know I've tried in the past. I get all tangled up with the grandmothers who I think cut, stitched and wound these balls so many years ago. I think of the faded house-dresses they wore, their husbands worn and frayed shirts, little girls torn or stained dresses, young boys trousers, old sheets, etc. I love the way a piece of fabric reveals itself when I am winding a ball onto my boat shuttle, or slipping it through the open shed, and I often wonder about its history.



...small scraps of some of the fabrics from a rag ball...


...a closer look...
and aren't they simply beautiful?

And so I proceeded, although with a great deal of reluctance as I so much fear the approaching end to my supply. I wove a rag rug that I loved in and of itself....



however I always am saddened that the actual rags are so densely packed in the rug, no one can really see or appreciate the beauty and history of each piece. I gave this much thought, wanting to highlight the individual rags, display their vintage beauty to advantage, and not just hide it deep within the rug.


...and so I decided to embellish the rug with rag flowers, the very rags used in the rug...

Oh, I love this rug, and believe that the rest of my rag balls have found their destination.
When they are used up, I guess I will have to start making my own rag balls. They won't have quite the same feel for me, nor the old, old history, but they will one day have a life of their own.

3 comments:

Robin C said...

Hi Joanne,
just read your post. Love the rugs. both of them. But the flowers on the last one definitely make it pop!

Donatella said...

What a lovely idea! But I like the first rug too!

barbindell said...

There is something to be said for perseverance--you certainly have it--love the flowers--both are great