Sunday, February 13, 2011

HEARTS AND FLOWERS

Ah, Valentine's Day, the day for love and hearts and flowers.


An ancient technique developed, by among others, the Mayans...woven paper hearts.
I decided to resurrect this ancient art this season, and pulled out a couple of old wall paper books I've kept over the years. With pretty patterns and some patience, I, as usual, was so caught up in the making, I just kept making...and making...and making. Now I need to give my hearts away.


They were quite lovely as they stood, but I thought stamping them might give them an even more vintage look.

This one is made from paper I water colored first, wove, then stamped.

It got to be rather addictive.

And then....the old, fallen apart rug I designated for re-use into potholders. It came to me after I'd made several, that I could embellish them with felted flowers.


...and then some blatantly heartish pot-holders.

Then it was on to the Valentine Card/Books for Iris and Elsa.

Sometimes it is difficult to find the perks in growing old. It is relatively easy to recognize all that is tarnished, all the small indignities that, to others might go unnoticed, but to the one growing into 'old age' reflect not just back from the mirror, but from life itself. I think, though, the purpose of 'old age', the redemption of growing older, is quite simply, grandchildren.


With this in my heart, I set out to make small valentine books for Iris and Elsa.

Elsa's depicts, on every page, the love of an animal hiding under a heart.


And for Iris, who I often tease by saying something like, I love you with all....my tummy? Several pages of 'misplaced' love hiding underneath hearts.

The culmination comes with the love in Nonnie's heart.

...with all my heart...