I found that I liked the results of mixing textures, wool yarn and wool blanket strips, in the last two bags I made. I thought perhaps I could weave two more bags with the warp that was left on my Union loom, but I anticipated needing to 'release' the last of the warp with extensions.
What I did not anticipate was the complicated, tedious process that involved.
The first of the last two bags, which I call 'The Hot Pepper Bag'.I started this bag in reds and gray because I wanted to embellish it with the hot pepper ribbon you see in the left hand corner. After weaving about three inches with red/gray, I actually looked at the ribbon, which was not red at all, but a 'hot' orange. So, I took apart the weaving and started again with a light orange and gray. Approaching the end, I thought it would be nice if using tapestry techniques, I could inlay some hot peppers, which you see on the right of the bag. And it worked. I like the effect. The vintage button, which I really love, seems to be made of some kind of stone.
Next came this last bag. Which was a cinch until I approached the very last of the warp to be released...and had to figure out how to extend what remained on the warp beam. It wasn't easy, but I must say I enjoyed the challenge of it. I will further say, I enjoyed the challenge a bit more then the doing. However, I like the result.
This is the Warp-End Bag.Recently I signed up to do what I thought to be a small Christmas show, which is coming up soon. Thinking that many of my items might not sell due to their price tags, I thought I'd make some items that might sell.
At first part of me balked at this idea. Where was my artistic/creative spirit, and how much art/creativity comes in making matching mother/daughter aprons and pot holders?? Was I just selling out, so to speak. I spent much time thinking about this, and first of all, came to realize something about myself. I love creating, and this I already knew, but what I did not truly realize was, that what I really loved was MAKING. This covers my love for weaving, cooking, baking, knitting, gardening, and just about 85% of my life. So, making pot holders wasn't really a step down, I actually found it lots of fun, and am still inspired to make more.
Potholders made from recycled wool.In addition the kitchen is my favorite room of the house. Not only that, I think, for me at least, it is the most essential room of the house. And though I have NEVER been a Martha Stewart fan, I think if you are going to use something, in the kitchen or anywhere, having it be beautiful enhances one's life.
No comments:
Post a Comment