
Anyone would think, at 12-15 minutes per braid, I'd have had enough after completing a series of five rugs, but no, I wanted to finish the warp on my loom, and as there wasn't enough to make another rug, I decided to try something smaller. I thought making a couple of 'bags' would be fun, and decided to add decorative rya knots as well as incorporate some woven loops. Above is bag # 1 on the loom.
Bag # 2This is the second bag, though after constructing the first once I'd taken it off the loom was so difficult due to the density of braided rags, I'm surprised I prevailed with this one.

Both bags, and actually I'd like to make more. They are clearly durable, and should last a lifetime. They aren't really Carpet Bags as Carpetbags..."were made by saddle makers in many town and cities and were many sizes and shape. They were called Carpetbags because the makers would buy old carpets and construct the bags from the pieces of carpet that were not completely worn out"...These bags are Rugbags, but somehow that just doesn't sound as romantic! How about Ragrugbags (that doesn't even look like English) or Rag Rug Bags??? Rag Bags?? Anyway, this project was different, fun and until I run out of rag balls, which at this rate will not be that far off, it is a nice break from wool, to weave with cotton in the summer. And I must say, the grandmothers still deeply entice me as these sewn rag strips braid and weave through my fingers.

2 comments:
What about Rag Satchel? Oh well, anyone who sees it will still call it a rag bag... They're cute, and they will wear forever, and get a good shape from the things they carry--I was just in the rag bag mood, too. Must be the moon
I'm not sure about 'shape from what they carry' as they are pretty firm due to the braiding of rags. But I do believe they will wear forever. It sure was a fun project...funny about the rag bag moon!
Post a Comment